Basic Requirements for ALL DoD Proposalss
- Grant Proposals: DoD grant proposal requirements are solicitation and agency specific. For this reason, it is very important to review the solicitation carefully, paying extra attention to the evaluation factors. The evaluation factors are used by the agencies to score and evaluate the proposal and select a grantee/contractor.
- Contract Proposals: Many contract proposals (FAR-based solicitations) require the review and negotiation of potential contract language at the time of proposal submission. OSP needs ample time to review the solicitation language, ask questions to the Government prior to the deadline for asking questions as specified in the solicitation and prepare an exception letter, if one is required to be submitted with the proposal.
- Budgets: Most DoD agencies require detailed budget information. For salaries they may require justification and payroll records. For travel, they may require that travel be broken down by number of travelers, number of days per trip, number of trips, destination, airfare, lodging, per diem, and any other related travel expenses. Budgeted equipment often must be supported by catalog prices or vendor quotes.
- All DoD grant and contract proposals require an Export Control & Open Research Review Worksheet (ECORRW) completed prior to execution of the award. For some contract solicitations, OSP may require the ECORRW completed prior to proposal submission. The Export Controls Dashboard for completing the ECORRW is located here: https://forms.exportcontrols.msu.edu. For more information on Export Control policies please visit http://www.exportcontrols.msu.edu/.
Main Agency Information:
Department of Defense (DoD)
Specific Agencies within the Department of Defense Include:
Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR)
The AFOSR continues to expand the horizon of scientific knowledge through its leadership and management of the Air Force's basic research program. As a vital component of the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL), AFOSR's mission is to discover, shape, champion basic science that profoundly impacts the future Air Force.
Army Research Lab and Army Research Office
The U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL) of the U.S. Army Research Development and Engineering Command (RDECOM) is the Army's corporate, or central, laboratory. Its diverse assortment of unique facilities and dedicated workforce of government and private sector partners make up the largest source of world-class integrated research and analysis in the Army. ARL provides opportunities for both basic and applied research. The U.S. Army Research Laboratory's Army Research Office (ARO) mission is to serve as the Army's premier extramural basic research agency in the engineering, physical, information and life sciences; developing and exploiting innovative advances to insure the Nation's technological superiority.
Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP)
CDMRP manages Congressional Special Interest Medical Research Programs (CSI) encompassing breast, prostate, and ovarian cancers, neurofibromatosis, military health, and other specified areas. Research is aimed to prevent, control, and cure disease.
Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
DARPA is an agency of the United States Department of Defense responsible for the development of new technologies for use by the military.
Office of Naval Research (ONR)
The ONR Global provides worldwide science & technology (S&T)-based solutions for current and future naval challenges. Opportunities are available for both basic and applied research.
Department of Defense Contracts
- Solicitations to apply for DoD contracts can be found at the Federal Business Opportunities website: https://www.fbo.gov/
- Helpful link to Government Contracting: http://www.acq.osd.mil/osbp/sb/guide.shtml
- For contracts, Representations and Certifications must be completed. MSU is registered in the System for Award Management (SAM), where a majority of the certifications are completed. Please work with your Proposal Team if you have questions on what needs to be done for this requirement.