The interactive Award Search report combines a high-level summary of award information for a selected period. Investigator, Account and Award IDs, and dollar amounts, etc. will be included, with the ability to view information based on date range, sponsor, and award status.
This report is designed to answer the following questions:
- For our college or unit, what is the status of our award per date range?
- Who are the PIs and Co-Is connected to our awards and what are the units?
- What are the specific attributes for our award including titles, activity types, and project dates?
- Who are our sponsors, prime sponsors?
- What is our unit’s credit split per Award?
- You can view the report as a PDF, HTML or export to Excel.
Running the Report Variations
The following prompts are available on the search screen:
Select Date Type: Shows the activity of the award for the selected date type, including: Board Date, Finalize Date, or Project Start Date.
Award Status: Shows activity for the selected award status types.
MAU: Shows activity for the selected MAU Responsibility Center.
Department: Shows activity for the selected Department.
Unit Level 1 Organization: Shows activity for the selected Organizational Unit(s).
Account: Shows activity for the selected KFS Account.
Investigator: Shows activity for the selected Investigators, Co-Investigators and Key Persons.
Sponsor: Shows activity for the selected Sponsor.
Prime Sponsor: Shows activity for the selected Prime Sponsor.
Sponsor Hierarchy: Shows activity for the Sponsors related to the Sponsor Hierarchy name.
Runtime for the report is from about 30 seconds for a single Investigator, to 2 minutes or more for an entire MAU. When running large data sets and summarizing across all selected values, it may take about 5 minutes to get results.
Viewing the Report
The number of pages in the Award Search report is driven by selections made on the prompt page.
A definition for each column is listed below. The columns are from left to right.
- MAU: The name of the MAU Responsibility Center.
- Investigator: The individuals (Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator, and/or Key Person) bearing primary responsibility for all essential aspects of the project.
- PI Unit: Unit associated with the Award.
- Contact Role Description: Lists the title of the corresponding investigator.
- Award ID: A unique ID automatically assigned by the KC system to identify an award.
- Account ID: A number assigned to the award by the institution’s financial system (KFS).
- Institutional Proposal Number: The Number associated with the Institutional Proposal.
- Award Status Description: The current status of the award.
- Award Title: The official title for the award.
- Activity Type: Activity type refers to the major functions of an institution based on OMB Circular A-21. Per OMB Circular A-21 (soon to be Uniform Guidance), the major functions of a university are instruction, sponsored instruction and teaching, departmental research, organized research, sponsored research, university research, other sponsored activities, and other institutional activities.
- Sponsor: The sponsor assigned for an award. Sponsor was previously referred to as Grantor.
- Sponsor Type: The type of sponsor assigned to the award, including: Association, Industry, Federal Government, Internal, etc.
- Prime Sponsor: The organization that funds a sponsored project, and the original source of funds. If flow through funds, this is where the funds originating from.
- Prime Sponsor Type: The type of sponsor assigned to the award, including: Association, Industry, Federal Government, Internal, etc.
- Sponsor Award ID: The sponsor reference ID as it appears on the award instrument.
- Finalized Date: The Date the Award was submitted into Final status within KC.
- Board Acceptance Date: The date the Award was approved by the Board of Trustees.
- Project Start Date: The project period start date as reflected in the Award instrument.
- Project End Date: The project period end date as reflected in the Award instrument.
- Obligated Change (Award Amount): The amount of the individual award transaction that was received from the sponsor.
- PI Credit Split: Percentage of Facilities & Administrative (F&A) that is allocated to the persons affiliated with the Award.
- PI Unit Credit Split: Percentage of Facilities & Administrative (F&A) that is allocated to the person’s units affiliated with the Award.
- PI Unit Award Amount: The obligated change amount, per person, per unit.
- Anticipated Total Amount: The anticipated sponsor funding for the entire project period - current obligation plus anticipated incremental funding and future year funding, including possible option years. This does not include cost share.
- CFDA Number: A unique identifier for the sponsor and the funding opportunity announcement (FOA). The first 2 digits of the number identify the Federal agency. The last 3 digits of the number identify the specific Federal program.
- F&A Rate: The percentage of F&A costs that have been agreed on between the institution and the sponsor.
- Organizational Document Number: The numeric document identification that may include departmental or organizational information. This number was previously the App Number.
- Lead Organization Indicator: Indicates if the unit is the lead.
- Special Review: The type indicates which special review, if any, is relevant to the document (proposal/award, etc.).
- Investigator Crd Type Description: Indicates which credit split is used for the report; Space, F&A Allocation or Post Award Unit.
The example below shows the Award Search report. If no data has been completed for that field, the phrase N/M is shown.
The Summary page shows the prompts and calculations used when building the report. The Summary page can be helpful in troubleshooting a report, to help determine why certain data is included or not included.
- The Business Intelligence Support page on the EBS Support site, for additional information on using the Business Intelligence system.
- The Research Administration Project page on the OVPRGS site Resource folder, for additional information on utilizing this data.
- Award Search Report Training Video (add later)