This job aid details how to look-up salary and fringe benefit information in Kuali Coeus. Once the salary and fringe benefits have been identified in KC the information can be exported to Excel and used in Excel budget templates. As an alternative, you can also watch the How to Look-up Salary and Fringe Benefit Rates in KC video.
- Department/College Administrators
- Principal Investigators
- Determining appropriate salary and fringe benefit rates to include in budgets.
Create a Template Proposal
Once you go through the steps to create a template proposal you can use that proposal for future inquiries on salaries and fringe benefits. Remember to write down the Proposal Development (PD) number for future use, or you can access the PD from your action list in KC. If you already have a template proposal you can skip to the “Looking up Salaries and Fringe Benefit Rates” section of this job aid.
- Click the Create Proposal link found within the Proposals Channel on the Researcher Tab
- You are now in a new Proposal Development document with the Proposal tab open to the first panel
- Complete the required information on the Required Fields for Saving Document panel
- Proposal Type – Select a Proposal Type from the dropdown list.
- Lead Unit – Select a Lead Unit from the dropdown list. If you only have access to add proposals for one unit, that unit will automatically be displayed in this field.
- Activity Type - Select an Activity Type from the dropdown list.
- Project Title – Add a dummy title, such as, “Laura’s template proposal”.
- Sponsor Deadline Type – Select “No Deadline Date”.
- Sponsor Deadline Date – This field will be grayed out if you selected “No Deadline Date” as the Sponsor Deadline Type.
- Sponsor Code – You can search for a sponsor, or enter 999999, which is the To Be Named sponsor code.
- Project Start/End Dates – Enter the start and end dates for the period you would like to gather salaries and fringe benefits for.
- Click save; a Proposal Number will now be assigned to the Proposal Development document
Looking up Salaries and Fringe Benefit Rates
Once you have opened/created your Proposal Development document, take the following steps:
- On the Proposal tab, verify that the Project Start/End Dates are for the time period you would like to gather the salaries and fringe benefits for. If not, edit the dates here. You will not be able to edit the Project Start/End Dates from within the budget.
- Click on the Budget Versions tab.
- Enter a description for the budget in the Name field and click add.
- Once added, click open from the Actions column.
- Once opened, the budget Parameters tab will be displayed. Click on the Personnel tab.
- To add named MSU employees to the budget, click the Employee Search icon.
- Enter your search criteria on the lookup screen and click search. From the search results, check the box in the Select? column next to the person you would like to add, and click return selected. Follow the same steps to add additional named MSU employees. NOTE: Use the asterisk symbol (*) as a wildcard to help with search results
- To add a to be named person to the budget, click the To be named search icon. On the lookup screen, click search to get a full list of TBN options to choose from. Check the box(es) in the Select? column next to the role(s) you would like to add and click return selected.
- Once you click return selected, you should be returned to the Personnel tab with the Project Personnel panel displayed. The named and TBN positions will be shown here. If the person/position is on an annual (AN) appointment, only one line will be displayed with a 12M Duration Appointment Type. If the named person is on an academic year (AY) appointment, two lines will be displayed, one with a 9M Duration Appointment Type, and the other with a Summer Employee Appointment Type. For named persons, their current salary will be displayed in the Base Salary field for that Appointment Type. Enter a current salary amount for the TBN positions in their Base Salary fields. Do not edit the other fields in this section.
- After all personnel have been added click the add all to period 1 button, and then click show next to the Personnel Detail panel.
- The persons/positions will be added to separate panels based on their Job Code. In the image below you will see separate panels for Faculty (Salaries & Wages), Faculty (Summer Salary), Graduate Student, and Research Associate (0-36 Months). Click show next to each panel and enter the % Effort and % Charged for each person/position. Click save at the bottom of the page to calculate the salary and fringe benefit amounts/rates.
Note: AY employees may have two separate lines to account for academic year/summer dates that are split up within the project period. Make sure to enter the % Effort and % Charged for both lines.
- If you would like to calculate salary and fringe rates for outgoing years/periods, click on the Parameters tab.
- At the bottom of the Parameters tab click the generate all periods button, and then click save. NOTE: The system defaults to 3% salary inflation on October 1st each year for named people and TBN positions. Fringe benefits are inflated based on the annual Office of Sponsored Programs Fringe Benefit Memo.
- To view and/or export salary and fringe rates for all periods, click from the Parameters tab to the Budget Actions tab.
- From the Budget Actions panel, click show next to the Print Forms panel.
- To view/export salary and fringe benefit information, click either the Adobe or Excel icon next to the Budget Salary Report (report #3).
Sample of the Adobe report:
NOTE: We recommend adding a new budget each time you want to pull new salary and fringe benefit information in order to receive the most up to date salary and fringe rates. If you prefer to edit an existing budget rather than create a new budget, please review the following instructions on how to update the salaries and fringe benefits: